- Photo Submission
PHOTO SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
We need photos!
Submit your photos and be part of the International Calendar:
PHOTO SUBMISSION FORMS (download)
First published in 1988, the International Calendar’s ongoing success—including awards in national and international calendar competitions—is due largely to the wonderful photographs submitted to us over the years. We welcome your submissions, and we hope the following guidelines on our submission criteria and selection process will be helpful.
We're often asked what kind of pictures we look for. There's no set answer to this, as we are interested in a wide range of subjects. We want to present Peace Corps countries in a positive, truthful light: we are proud of the people and countries where we have served, and we share that pride through this calendar. We like images of city life as well as village and rural scenes. We like people in action: working, relaxing, enjoying everyday life, and/or celebrating special occasions. Humor is appreciated. Landscapes or photos with architectural or other detail—handiwork, food, etc.—add interest. When selecting images to submit, keep in mind the need for "month-long" appeal. And since many teachers use this calendar as a teaching tool, it's good to keep students and their interests in mind as well.
Anyone may submit photos; Peace Corps service is not a requirement.
Note that as of March 1, 2016, we are accepting digital submissions only.
- To be eligible for consideration, submitted photographs must be high-quality digital images (5.0MP or higher) with realistic color. Other formats (prints, mounted, black & white) are not eligible.
- Photographs must be from a country where Peace Corps Volunteers have served (past or present).
- Photos showing a Peace Corps Volunteer are not eligible.
- A photographer may submit a maximum of five (5) pictures per year.
- A photo submitted three (3) times, but not selected, is no longer eligible.
- Basic requirements for technical quality include clear focus, realistic color, and good overall contrast.
- The photographer's name and the country where the photo was taken must appear in the digital file name, and the image must be saved as a JPEG. Use the following naming convention:
[country+entry#.photographername.jpg] Examples: morocco4.mcousins.jpg; fiji2.vross.jpg
- A scan of the signed Photo Release Form and a Photo Submission Form— with photographer and photo information filled in—must accompany all photos.
- Digital files and the scanned Photo Submission and Photo Release forms must be submitted online by Feb. 15th to: email@example.com.
- To qualify as a large, featured photograph, digital images must be taken at high resolution on a 5-megapixel or higher camera. Lower resolution digital images may be submitted, but may be considered for inset images only.
- Submitted photographs will become part of the Madison RPCVs calendar image library for possible use in calendar and related projects. Photographer's will be credited with every use.
- Submissions must be received by February 15th. Late submissions will be held for the next year.
- Photos will be reviewed in late spring and final decisions made in late summer, a year or more in advance of publication. We will contact you as soon as a decision to use your photo is made. No notification will be sent to those whose pictures are not selected.
We are deeply grateful to all photographers for taking time to submit pictures. Each person who submits a photo (or photos) for consideration will receive a complimentary calendar in September.
Those whose photos are selected for featured images will receive 25 calendars, and those whose photos are used for smaller insets will receive 5 calendars. If an image is used as a notecard, the photographer will receive 10 that notecard set.
If you are planning on traveling in the months of June-December, note that this is when the calendar is in production. It is essential that we be able to contact you, not only to let you know that your photo is selected, but also to get photo text and other information relevant to use of your photo. Please let us know if your contact information needs to be updated.
Questions? Email our Photo Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Peace Corps Countries Listing