The Gambia 2017 Recipes
3–4 filets of perch (gutted and cleaned, but with heads)
1 butternut squash, pealed and cubed
1 large onion, chopped
2 cups/300 gr of long-grain rice
3 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 large green pepper, sliced
5 hot chile peppers, i.e., Habaneros, pounded to a paste
3 ripe tomatoes, chopped
2 cups water
3 T tomato paste
1 small head of cabbage, cut into chunks
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 cube of fish stock
Groundnut or soya oil for frying
1. Chop up all ingredients.
2. In a big pot, add enough oil to cover the bottom about 1/4 inch and heat. After the oil is hot, add the chopped garlic.
3. When it is browned (to flavour the oil), remove the chunks of garlic.
4. Add the chopped butternut squash and let it cook for 2-3 minutes, and then the fish.
5. Add the onions and keep stirring. Add the chopped up green pepper and about 1/2 teaspoon salt.
6. Mix in the pureed hot peppers and black pepper.
7. Add 2 cups of water and then mix in the tomatoes. Stir in about 3 spoons of tomato paste and cover the pot.
8. After coming to a boil sprinkle in 2 cups of rice and 2 more cups of water.
9. Reduce heat to simmer. Add additional water and spices as needed. Add in the cabbage.
10. Cook the rice and serve the sauce on top of the rice.
1 cup of unsweetened evaporated milk
2 cups of plain unsweetened yogurt
1 cup of sour cream
1½ of chopped unsweetened pineapples or other fruit
Pinch of nutmeg (optional)
Vanilla extract (a couple of drops, for flavoring)
2 cups of couscous (instant)
Sugar to taste
Mix all the ingredients, except the couscous, to make the sweet mix. Cook the couscous separately in water. Instant couscous soaked in water will suffice. Pour the sweet mix onto the couscous.
½ kg dried hibiscus flower
Sugar to taste
4 liters of water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Soak the flowers in cold water and then boil the mixture for 10 to 15 minutes (depending on strength)
2. Strain the juice and set aside to cool.
3. Add sugar, vanilla extract and stir until dissolved
Chill well before serving.